Thursday 5 October 2017

Summer Reflection

My summer has not be as eventful or exciting as others may have, I did not go on any holidays or travelled anywhere new, however I did have a lot of time to reflect and focus on myself and my personal life. Moving home was one of the most refreshing changes I have had in a while, as I moved out from student accommodation, and into a flat with just my partner. Being in a place that feels less temporary, unlike student accommodation, has allowed me to become more comfortable in my surroundings and settle down into a more structured rhythm of life. It has also given me the opportunity of having my own office/studio-like space. This has allowed my creativity and work ethic to increase, as I am now able to immerse myself more into my work, and personalise the space in a way that makes me feel comfortable and motivated.

Over the summer I have also found a part-time job, working in a JD Store. Although this initially was just a means of helping me financially and didn't benefit my graphic design career, I got lucky in the fact that I met someone who has finished a degree in graphic design and is working freelance currently. I was surprised to see him working a full time retail job with a good degree behind him, especially after he showed me his work which I found quite impressive. However, it has opened my eyes more to the reality that each of us face after we graduate, that a good graphic design job or a launch into a successful career is not as easy or imminent as we might expect. He talked to me about how he has tried to find a more permanent job within a studio for quite some time, and how he has been unsuccessful each time due to "lack of experience". This had got me thinking about my own future, and how I do not wish to be in the situation he is after I graduate, where I have the skills to produce great work but no opportunities to enter the industry and use those skills. That is why I have set myself the aim of gaining some industry experience, seeking out internships, doing some freelance, and building up a strong portfolio. If I manage to do these things hopefully after I graduate I will not only have a strong portfolio and CV, but also some useful contacts and relationships with people currently in the industry that could help me, as the expression goes, to put my foot in the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment