Thursday 22 November 2018

D&AD Talk

Winning Tips

1. BRIEF = PROBLEM. Understand it.
Really get to the bottom of what you're trying to solve - the main problem. 

2. FIND A SOLID INSIGHT. Do your research!
Let the research lead you and guide your ideas.

3. PUSH YOUR IDEAS.
Let your imagination run wild, you can always reign it back,

4. KEEP IT HUMAN.
Don't forget to communicate with the audience. Look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

5. CONSIDER REALITY. 
Make sure your response is plausible and can really be implemented.

6. EXECUTE IT.
Bringing the idea to life in anyway possible. Scamp it, crap-o-matic it, moodboard it etc

7. SELL YOUR IDEA.
In person, film or boards. The people need to understand it, how you got to where you are/your outcome. Can you explain your idea in 60 seconds? What was the problem, insight, idea and execution.

Practice Responding to a D&AD Brief



This talk showed me that I shouldn't be afraid of big and bold ideas, especially whilst I'm still a student, It also showed me that when it comes to competition briefs such as this, they are after something unique and grand, something they may not think of themselves. If the idea you present is the first one you thought of, it is likely that many other people also thought of that idea too. The 'Winning Tips' I felt were very useful, because they could be applied to any brief not just a D&AD or competition brief. What also really stuck with me was the advice to 'Push your ideas' and that it's better to think big and then reign it back if necessary. This is something that I feel I should really take on board and try out, as so far as a designer I tend to play it safe and create outcomes for briefs that are the typical print or online format. I hope throughout this year I will be able to experiment more with the use of different materials and try unique and more bold methods to execute my ideas. I do not want my design practice to rely solely on sitting at a computer, as a designer I know I want to me more hands-on and utilise analogue techniques. I hope this will make my design process and final outcomes more unique and representative of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment