Wednesday 24 October 2018

Trip to Harewood House

Geraldine Pilgrim
She couldn't decide between Art and Drama. She spoke about her struggle finding what discipline fit her right, and spoke about hot to become an artist.
She does site-specific performances and installations: using a space and its history to create artwork.

Recommended book: 'On the Art of Theatre' by Edward Gorman.
Recommended artist: Edward Maybridge - invented freeze-frame photography, and was the first to analyse movement.

I found Geraldine really inspiring, because she shared with us her struggles in figuring out who she was as a creative and where she fit in the industry. This is also how I feel, so her story gave me some reassurance that everything will work out, and that if I don't find a place to fit in the industry, I can create a place for myself. She created a niche in the industry that she was really passionate about, and was able to merge her love for Art and drama and all the other creative interests she has into one. What's stopping me from also doing that, if I don't feel like the typical 'Graphic Designer' then I don't have to be one, I can brand myself and make a career from who I am, and I can combine all my passions to become a unique creative that doesn't necessarily have to have a label.

Lord Whitney
'Connoisseurs of the Make-Believe'
They're based in Leeds, and their studio/creative hub is at Scott Hall Mills.

They have done research-led projects: folk lore/stories. They immersed themselves in the history and the stories, and created something artistic from that.
They love attention to detail (eg. Wes Anderson movies). It makes the experience as real as possible for the audience.

Recommended studio: Punch Drunk

I also found Lord Whitney really inspiring, and the work they do I connected with really passionately. I was mesmerized by the fact of how much detail and love they put into each of their projects, and how hands-on and analogue a lot of the projects were; this is something I feel passionate about as a creative as well. They spoke about their struggles starting the business, and about the balance of doing big corporate projects for income and small passion projects out of love for the work. I was really surprised that this kind of balance can exist within the industry, which has reassured me and motivated me for the future. I suppose it is also relevant to mention that the Lord Whitney collective being all women has given me some positive reinforcement, as it is known that the Graphic Design discipline is dominated by men, or so the stereotypes are. However, with the amazing work that Lord Whitney are doing, it gives me hope for the future that this stereotype will be broken, and that the Graphic Design industry becomes neutral and overtime the gender within it irrelevant.




No comments:

Post a Comment